Breakfast cereal can be a healthy breakfast… or a not-so-healthy breakfast! Let’s be honest though, as a mom sometimes you need to get your kids fed NOW so cereal can be a lifesaver. I personally am quite picky with my cereals; my kids will eat loads of it so I have to make sure they are getting something that will help them and not harm them.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a cereal:
* Look at the ingredients! This is my most important choosing factor. Look for REAL food ingredients. If you wouldn’t use it in your own kitchen to cook with, then probably skip it.
* Top ingredients should be “Whole Wheat” or “Wheat Bran” (not just “wheat) … these are naturally low in fat and high in fiber
* Avoid cereals that have artificial dyes or colors and chemicals/preservatives EVEN if the front of the box claims they are “healthy” or “whole grain”.
* Remember the Rule of Fives: Choose cereals with at least 5 grams of fiber and less than 5 grams of sugar. An added plus is at least 3 grams of protein.
* Make your own! Homemade granola is so easy, cheap and versatile.
My kids don’t get the colored, sugary stuff (unless they are at grandma’s house- ha!)… Maybe that makes me a mean mom, but they are 5 and 5 so they don’t get to decide 🙂 And guess what?! They don’t mumble a word of complaint!