Hello Taco Tuesday!! Do you Taco Tuesday?!
If so, here are a few healthy tips!
- Choose corn tortillas over flour. They have 1/3 less calories and usually a much “cleaner” ingredient list. Bonus points for making your own!
- Don’t fry your shells. You can soften them by warming them in the microwave for a few seconds OR you can spray a little bit of olive oil on each side and heat on a hot pan for just a few seconds.
- If you want hard shells, try spraying them with olive oil, draping them over the oven rack and baking them til they are crunchy.
- Use a lean meat (like turkey, fish, chicken or lean beef) or skip the meat altogether and use beans or veggies (like butternut squash, mushrooms, eggplant or bell peppers).
- Make your own seasoning. Store bought isn’t the worst, but most usually have added preservatives and loads of sodium… the more you avoid those things, the better! Instead use garlic, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, etc.
- Load them with veggies! Make a fresh salsa (like this corn salsa that has jicama and red peppers) or use cabbage, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Top with pain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It has less fat and more protein and nutrients
- Skip the cheese or go easy on the cheese or choose a lighter cheese like feta or goat cheese
- Turn your taco into …. a salad! Use dark greens like spinach or kale for the most nutrients.
I hope this helps! Enjoy those tacos!