Hot chocolate is always good… even when we lived in nice, warm Hawaii we’d turn up the AC and enjoy our delicious mugs of chocolate. Now that we just moved somewhere COLD and snowy, hot chocolate is essential to my happiness (can I get an amen?!).
Truthfully though, I have a hard time justifying drinking that much sugar/calories unless it has some health benefits too. So let me introduce you to my winter BFF… healthy double chocolate hot cocoa mix!
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or a high-quality regular cocoa powder)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 dark chocolate bar (3.5 oz)- I use 85% dark chocolate
- Cut up your dark chocolate bar in small chunks.
- Put in a food processor and blend until it becomes a powder.
- Mix with the remaining ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
- To make the hot chocolate, mix to taste with milk of choice (I do unsweetened vanilla and almond milk).
Note: this is not overly sweet so if you’re used to super sweet hot chocolate, feel free to add more coconut sugar.