Have you noticed my kids love muffins? Most kids do! I love that they are so easy to grab, filling and healthy. This apple one is a tasty way to use up all your mushy apples 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed/flaxseed Meal
- 1 cup Regular Oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, Roughly Chopped
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Buttermilk (or milk with 1 tsp vinegar)
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 whole Banana, Peeled And Mashed
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Molasses (go easy on this if you don’t like molasses!)
- 1 apple, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Thoroughly grease a muffin pan (makes 12-18).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed meal, oats, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, walnuts, and raisins. Stir together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg, banana, applesauce and molasses. Stir in apple cubes.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until it just barely comes together. Batter should be wet and sticky; (if needed, splash in a couple extra tablespoons of buttermilk.)
- Scoop 1/4 cup helpings into the muffin cups and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
(recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
I like putting these in freezer bags so we always have some on hand!